Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Paragliding

My paragliding adventures took their best turn last weekend. Two days of perfect weather, 3 (of 4) great flights. For the first time, I really felt comfortable flying (though I felt sick on the first day due to turbulence).

I definitely flew my highest too. At a guess, maybe 1200 metres. (Mark probably made it to 1500m.) It started to get a little cold. It's going to be weird when we make it to 3000m.

Launching and landing seem second nature now. The stress has ebbed away and I can focus on making sure I'm safe rather than pandering to unfounded fears. I understand the equipment and I know when it's setup right. I feel like I've got the process down fairly well now.

There are three things Mark and I lack:
  1. Instruments (we need a vario/altimeter and GPS)
  2. Meteorological knowledge
  3. Time in the air (learning how to stay in a thermal, judge distances/height, etc.)

No comments:

Post a Comment